London: R. Ackermann, 1817.
First edition. 4to. Bound in full dark crushed brown morocco by The Hampstead Bindery, with superb stippled corner gilt decorations to upper and lower covers. Gilt lettering to spine and gilt ruling at bands. Very wide gilt-ruled turn-ins surrounding a vellum doublure panel, as well as vellum endpaper with gilt stamped bells at each corner. Twenty-six hand-colored aquatint plates (including the frontispiece and engraved title). Measures approx. 6.25î x 10.î Some light rubbing to edges, bumping to bottom corners, and a few minor scratches to back cover, near fine. Paper backing to vellum free endpapers wrinkled (as is standard for Hampstead/GoWB bindings with this treatment). The Hampstead Bindery, founded by Frank Karslake, who later founded the Guild of Women Binders, in January, 1898, as an adjunct to his bookshop in Charing Cross Road. The bindery soon gained momentum and notoriety, employing such luminaries as Alfred de Sauty, Slavoldelli, Samuel Tout and others.
Price: $2,250.00 Item #4534